With an estimated 54,000 new cases of oral cancer expected to be diagnosed s far, the doctors at Ideal Smile Dentistry are committed to monitoring our patients for signs of oral cancer at every routine check-up. If you’ve never had an oral cancer screening, there’s no better time to get it donw without any further delay!
What Is Oral Cancer?
Oral cancer is a type of head and neck cancer that develops in one or more structures in the mouth. Risk factors include tobacco use (both smoke and smokeless), excessive alcohol consumption and infection with certain types of human papillomavirus (HPV).
Oral Cancer In Figures
- More than 90 per cent of oral cancers occur in areas exposed to tobacco.
- Oral cancer is one of the four most common cancers in men and women around the world.
- Oral cancer is one of the 10 leading causes of cancer death worldwide.
- For every woman, two men develop oral cancer.
- Someone dies every hour from mouth cancer, but survival rates increase if the cancer is detected and treated early.
Signs Of Oral Cancer
The common feature of all symptoms is that they are persistent and relentless.
- Pain in the mouth
- swelling of the face
- Difficulty moving or opening the mouth
- Any sore or ulcer that does not heal within 14 days.
- Pain in any tooth
- Red, white or black discolouration in the soft tissues of the mouth
- Discomfort when eating or drinking sour or hot foods
- Any abnormality that bleeds easily when touched
- Loose teeth or other dental problems
- A lump or hard spot in the tissue, usually on the side of the tongue.
- A painless, firm, fixed knot that can be felt in the outer part of the throat and is there for at least two weeks.
Treatment Of Oral Cancer
As with most cancers, oral cancer treatment involves surgeons, oncologists, dentists, and rehabilitation and restoration specialists. In the early stages, surgeons can remove the tumour and all the cancerous lymph nodes. Depending on the stage or severity, radiation and/or chemotherapy may be used to destroy the cancer cells. Diet is also an important part of treatment, choosing foods that will treat the mouth and throat.
Screening For Mouth Cancer
During an oral cancer screening examination, the dentist checks the inside of the mouth for red or white patches or oral ulcers. He or she will also feel the tissues of your mouth as well as your throat and neck to check for any nodules or other abnormalities.
Screening of the mouth, tongue, gums and throat is important for early diagnosis of problems. In addition, knowing your family history can help detect the disease at an earlier stage. If in doubt, check it out!
Ideal Smile Dentistry is one of the best dental solution providers. The team consists of highly skilled, qualified and experienced doctors who have been serving the nation since years. Never compromise on your oral hygiene and get an appointment to have a thorough inspection. Get in touch with Ideal Smile Dentistry now and book an appointment.