You’ve probably heard many times that your daily dental hygiene routine is based on brushing twice a day and flossing once a day. While this is a good foundation, brushing and flossing may not be enough to keep your oral health in the best possible shape. In this post, you will learn five tips and tricks to improve your dental hygiene so you can keep your teeth healthy between your six-monthly cleanings!
- Use An Electric Toothbrush
An electric toothbrush is often considered more effective than traditional toothbrushes when used correctly. With an electric toothbrush, the user does not have to brush back and forth, but simply guides the brush around the quadrants of the mouth and the small vibrations clean the teeth. Especially if there are more plaque and calcium deposits in the mouth, an electric toothbrush can remove these particles more effectively every day. Many electric toothbrushes also have a built-in 2-minute timer to help you keep track!
It’s important to note that brushing too vigorously – whether with an electric or traditional toothbrush – can damage your gums. To avoid damaging your gums and wearing away enamel, brush at a 45-degree angle to the gum line and brush gently.
- Make Sure You Floss Correctly
Flossing once a day is extremely important for your oral health. A toothbrush can only reach 60% of the tooth surface and flossing is the only way to remove plaque and dirt from the remaining 40% of the tooth surface. However, flossing is only good for your oral health if it is done correctly. If you don’t floss in a C-shape and don’t go far enough under your gums, flossing won’t remove the plaque that hides between your teeth and under your gums. On the contrary, those who floss too vigorously risk damaging their gums, which can lead to further oral health problems later on.
- Rinse Your Mouth After Flossing
Patients are advised to floss before brushing so that they can remove any dirt loosened during flossing, but it is more important to make sure you floss at least once a day. If you floss after brushing or at any other point during the day, make sure you rinse with water afterwards to rinse your mouth of any bacteria and dirt that the floss has loosened.
4. Keep A Toothbrush In Your Office
You never know when you might need to brush your teeth! If you’ve had lunch and got food particles stuck in your teeth, or you know you need to brush better in general, it’s always a good idea to keep an extra toothbrush with you for emergencies. Be sure to keep it in a safe place and with a cap to prevent dust and particles from accumulating on the toothbrush.
- Don’t Forget Your Tongue
Millions of bacteria live on the tongue and can contribute to bad breath and plaque build-up in the mouth. When brushing your teeth, make sure you also gently clean your tongue to remove bacteria. You can also use mouthwash daily to freshen your breath and kill bacteria. Make sure you use one that contains fluoride to further strengthen your teeth and generally protect your oral cavity.
These tips will help you improve your dental hygiene routine and keep your mouth healthier overall! If you have any questions about your hygiene routine, your hygienist will be happy to help. Whether you want to make sure you’re flossing properly or you have questions about what kind of toothbrush to use, no question is too silly! We’ll take the time to help you establish the best possible hygiene regime. Request an appointment to get started with us today!